Afternoon Style : Tips for Wearing Denim on Denim

4/13/2015

Tips for Wearing Denim on Denim

Pregnant or not, when I'm looking for an outfit that is stylish and comfortable, denim on denim is something I often fall back on. Some people may steer away from mixing denim on denim because you know, a Canadian tuxedo isn't the cutest thing ever. However, wearing two types of denim does not have to equal a fashion faux pas... no one wants that. 

Scroll through to see my best tips on wearing denim on denim!








Target chambray top (sold out online, similar options below) | Pink Blush Maternity jeans c/o | Mindy Mae's Market flats (sold out, similar options below) | Aldo purse (several years old, similar option here)


1. Make sure that your denims have a lot of contrast and are visibly different colors. I usually go for dark wash jeans and a light denim/chambray top! 

2. Make sure your denim top fits correctly. This seems like a no-brainer, but there is nothing worse than a structured top that is too small. I always size up in these tops because they look much more put together when they are a little loose, than too tight. 

3. Pick the right shoes. When creating this type of look, the denim is obviously the focal point of the outfit, but your shoes are important too! You can denim on denim with flats, ankle boots, or sandals for a casual look or heels for a more dressed up look! 

How would you wear denim on denim? 

PS I've had a lot of questions about where I like to buy my chambray tops when pregnant and not pregnant. This top is actually oversized and I'm wearing a medium so it works even though it isn't maternity. If you are expecting though, I've linked up some great maternity tops below. My favorite places to buy non-chambray tops are from Target, Old Navy, Gap, J.Crew, Forever 21, and H&M. You can also check out the options below, if you're interested!